Constipated after taking morphine. Started getting bloated. Suggested stool softener. Relief?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I have been on morphine (pump) for 11 years and have dealt with constipation problems since them..For the past 2 months I have started getting bloated as soon as I eat or drink..I do not go to the bathroom daily, I go every other day and since I have started getting bloated, my doctor told me to take a stool softner and clearlax daily..I can feel the gas in my stomach and I dont feel completely comfortable, and I wanted to know if there is something else I can do.
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 6 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

Constipation may not be responsible for abdominal bloating.
Since this is a new symptom, it needs proper evaluation.
Blood glucose test and upper GI endoscopy may be done for evaluation if bowel movements do not relieve that symptom.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Constipated after taking morphine. Started getting bloated. Suggested stool softener. Relief? 19 minutes later
I"ll call and schedule an appointment...Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
Welcome.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini