Constipated. Taking Miralax. Having frequent loose bowel movements. What to do?

In the last three months at first I was constipated then I started to take Miralax and then I started to have loose and frequent bowel movements in different shapes looser an shaped either small stools or larger ones shaped like hotdogs It has made mylife uncomfortable XXXXX
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stop Miralax

Detailed Answer:

Miralax is a laxative, this will only loosen the stool but does not form the bulk. This is the reason why the stool consistency becomes abnormal. Also Miralax is not for regular use.

Take fiber supplements which will form bulk of the stools along with the mucous in the intestines for easy passage and do not have any side effects even used for longer duration. One such supplement is Psyllium husk. A spoon of husk taken with water or milk in the night would help you get rid of the problem.

Hope, I answered your query.