Constipated. Started mirilax. Am I building tolerance to the compound?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have often been constipated for all of my life. I have a very healthy diet and drink 60-80 oz water each day. Two months ago someone suggested taking 6g of Mirilax 3x/day that is equivalent to a full dose. For the first month I became regular for the first time in years. Now it seems I need to increase the dose to 9g 3x/day. I'm concerned that I'm building a tolerance to the compound. Need I be concerned?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
The problem associated with incresed dosage of laxatives is cathartic colon. This is a condition wherein the bowel stops responding to fiber preparations or laxatives. From your history it appears that your colon is intrinsically slow to function. Some amout of increase in the dosage at your age is acceptable. But I would suggest that you consume lot of water and natural foliage as well.
I hope I have addressed your doubt.