Constipated. Colonoscopy and endoscopy done. What is the problem?

I am a woman of 61 yrs . I have been constipated a few weeks ago and went to my doctor who is a digestive especialist. He performed a ecogram of my abdomen as well as a scanner. All was fine in spite of that i asked him to do a colonoscopy and endoscopy because i was not imporving My depositions were very thin like a pencil or even less. He did both tests and assured me that all is well . Some days have passed since the tests and I continue to be very constipated and the deposisitons are as was before ,like a pencil. What could this be?
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 2 hours later
Great, that all the abdominal investigations have come negative! Its unlikely that your constipation is related to cancer (since the colonoscopy was normal) The other reasons for constipation may be:
a. Too little fibre and water in the diet. You should be taking 7-9 servings of fruits and vegetables and about 2-3 litres of water in a day.
b. Inadequate food intake- eat small quantities more frequently( if you are not obese!)
c. Decreased thyroid function: You need to be tested for hypothyroidism ( decreased thyroid function by a blood test). Please see your physician for this.
Try and make the above changes and see if things improve. Else, get back to me and we can take this further.
All the best.
GOD bless
Dr Ananth