Constantly crying baby. Taken antibiotics for ear infection. Squelching in stomach.

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi my baby is 4 weeks old an he is constantly crying, my doctor told me he has a ear infection I'm 4 days in to the antibiotics an still I see no progress, he will not lie on his back at all, wen he does manage to have a couple of hours sleep it's on his belly.He was on cow and gate milk an I changed it at 2 weeks old to cow an gate comfort milk because I thought he had colic he does bring his wind up and he is still on comfort milk, he's feeding but does mostly cry throughout an can sometimes hear squelching in his belly. Please help.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
The most common causes of inconsolable cry in newborns and infants are colic, ear ache and nasal obstruction. Since the other two conditions i.e ear ache and nose block can be ruled out by clinical examination and response to medication , colic remains a very common cause of inconsolable cry.
In your baby, if treatment of the ear infection if not relieving the cry, the cause could more likely be a colic.
The most important thing is to get your baby checked by pediatrician for pathological causes like infection and anomalies, if all else is ruled out and colic is diagnosed by exclusion then be assured that it would resolve in few months on its own.
Colic in babies is self limiting with no long term risk and likely to resolve after 4 months of age .
Most often babies with colic like to sleep on their belly and arch or cry loudly when turned supine .They frequently have explosive passage of wind( burps and farts).
Their abdomen distension is disproportionately more than their feed intake and they may start
crying while halfway through feeding or few minutes to an hour post feeds.
They might have some temporary relief with medications like colicaid or mylicon or neopeptine
drops though some might have quite resistant colics needing anti spasmodic drops containing
dicyclomine.(best avoided)
You should consult your pediatrician and discuss in detail of his feeding and sleep schedules.
Meanwhile try the following for some relief.
1.Be positive, maintain your health and avoid stress since that can worsen the babys colic, Relax, many women go through this phase with colicky babies.
2 Try soothing the baby in a quiet dark room, with any of the methods like swaddling, sshhiing sounds, side or stomach positon (prone) with gentle back rubbing, swinging or mild rocking.etc
3 Maintain regularity of feeding and sleep schedules as far as possible.
4 When carrying your baby try to relieve pressure on his stomach by keeping baby upright or lying with feet raised a bit up to allow easy gas passage.
5.While feeding if u feel the abdomen distended, burp the baby midway and then continue feeding.
6 .Do consult your pediatrician for treatment and advise , you may record the crying episodes if you feel unable to describe them to the doctor.