Constant tingling in hands and feet, spider veins on chest, face, occasional heart palpitations. Blood tests good. Cause?

Hi. I have had constant tingling in my hands and feet for a few months. I have also noticed spider veins popping up all ocer my chest and now a few on my face. I am also having occassional heart palpitations although I am not sure if this is because I am so worried about the above. Had a basic blood test donea few months ago and all looked ok with liver function etc. cholesterol was slightly raised. I am 40 yr old female. Always been thin and eat healthy ???
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 2 hours later
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

Spider veins are called varicose veins. These are dilated, tortuous superficial veins that result from either a defective structure or defective function of the superficial veins (primary) or due to occlusion of the deep veins (secondary). These occur most frequently in women and the commonest sites are legs, face and chest.

Are you getting your period regularly. Because one of the common cause of varicose vein and tingling is the hormonal imbalance that occurs during menopause. Varicose vein also results in pain and burning sensation. Varicosity, palpitation and tingling can coexist in hypertension and in persons taking OCP and HRT. The hormones in OCP and HRT can result in hypertension which can cause anxiety, palpitation and varicose veins

Tingling of hands and feet can occur in other conditions like hypothyroidism, iron, vitamin B 12 and calcium deficiency and these should be excluded through blood tests. Menstruation and stress can also cause tingling.

You should consult a physician and rule out hypertension and other related heart problems as the treatment depends upon the cause. Ablative procedures like sclerotherapy and laser ablation are available for varicose veins in selected people who develop complications like ulceration or for cosmetic purposes.

I hope this helps. Please address to me if you have any further concerns.