Constant swishing sound in my ear. After a plane ride. Ibuprofen, ear drops not helped. What will?

I have a constant swishing sound in my ear and it's driving me crazy. It started with getting water in my ear in the pool and then we had a long plane ride home which I think made it worse over the weekend - now there's this constant swishing. I tried ear drops. Just took two ibuprofen and also one benadryl. Nothing's helping yet!
Posted Fri, 8 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 16 minutes later

This swishing sound in the ears is due to tinnitus due to tubes, suck on candy, chew gum or take a nasal decongestant. These measures will help in opening the Eustachian tube. For prescription of nasal decongestants, consult your doctor as they should be taken under prescription.

In mlost cases, there is no specific treatment for tinnitus. It may simply go away on its own. However if it persists then you have to get an examination done from an ENT specialist.

It can be due to ear wax, fluid, infection, or disease of the middle ear bones or ear drum, advancing age, diseases of the inner ear, damage to the nerve in the inner ear, some medicines like aspirin and sometimes aneurysm or an acoustic tumor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.