Constant swallowing of excessive saliva, anxiety, obsessive thinking

Hi, I have having a problem as of the few months where I am obsessing/constantly thinking about swallowing. Since I am thinking about it most of the time my body is producing more saliva and I am swallowing more often (and more saliva) my first question is - is swallowing too much saliva a bad thing if it goes on continually? My second question is - how do I get my mind to stop thinking about what should be a mostly unconscious thing? I am having some anxiety over this and my worrying/obsessing factor has robbed me of enjoying my life as I should. I think this whole thing is quite ridiculous but yet my obsessing continues. I have gone through some personal trauma in the last few years - divorce, etc. I don't think that is related but then again who knows? third question - is there any anxiety medications (OTC) that you are aware of that are available that may calm my obsessive thinking? I think my problem may be under the OCD area.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Swallowing excessive saliva does not cause any problems or electrolyte imbalances.
Excessive saliva production or difficulty in swallowing may be the cause apart from anxiety. The organic causes that need to be ruled out include-
* Dentures that are new or don't fit well
* Infection in your mouth
* Medications, such as clozapine, isoproterenol, pilocarpine and reserpine
* Pregnancy
* Stomatitis (an inflammation of mucous membranes in your mouth)
* Teething
* Acute sinusitis
* Allergies
* Chronic sinusitis
* Enlarged adenoids
* Tumors that affect your tongue or lip movement
Anxiety is more likely to be associated with dryness in the mouth rather than excessive salivation.
I would encourage you to XXXXXXX your health care provider to rule out any possible causes before attributing it to be due to psychological reasons.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.