Ask a Dentist   »  

Constant sensation of decay, septic sensation, sick, lethargic, having teeth removed. Serious?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
hello my name is iaian
I have been suffering from constant sensation of decay and
sometimes septic sensation, I am always sickly and lethargic.
this has been going on for years, i believe my father was sick
because of his teeth also. i am on the verge of haveing the nine
teeth left removed. i have an upper bridge consisting of 5 teeth
i breath predominately through my mouth i dont know if i have
a genetical trate or perhaps somthing else.i am quite desperate.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 29 hours later
Hello Iaian,

From your description it appears that there is a lack of oral hygiene maintainence.

This has lead to major tooth decay and gum related problems.

This has been aggravated by mouth breathing also.

You have to change your Oral hygiene habits by brushing after every meal, if not alleast after break-fast and last food of the day with toothpaste containing Fluoride [eg; Amflor, Colgate total...] and tooth brush with soft bristles.

You have to floss once daily after last food of the day.

You need to also visit the dentist for professional cleaning/check up once in 4-6 months.

For the teeth which is on the verge of removal because of decay, you can take the second opnion whether it can be saved by root canal treatment or not.

If you need to go for removal of teeth, then better for you is Removable partial denture [if feasible, flexible removable denture preferably by 'VALPLAST'] which may be helpful for you to maintain the oral hygiene.

Check whether the anti-depressants which you are taking have side effects on gums/periodontal tissue which can worsen the situation.

Hope my suggestions will help you.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.

Dr.Ramesh B.Hegde