Constant phlegm like feeling at the back of throat. History of gall bladder removal. Related to GERD?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I hardly ever have a sore throat, but there is a constant feeling of a phlegm like substance at the back of my throat. I had my gallbladder out in 04 my appendices out in 10 and a hole in my stomach patched up last month..Just wondering if the throat thing might be related to gerd
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for contacting XXXXXXX
Persistent throat discomfort is usually secondary to -
1) GERD
2) Allergic rhinopharyngitis (cold)
3) Sinusitis with postnasal drip
A good history and physical examination will help to narrow down the cause.
Hence see a GP and seek further advice
Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Constant phlegm like feeling at the back of throat. History of gall bladder removal. Related to GERD? 8 hours later
Assuming the problem is caused by gerd, what is the suggested treatment? Belching and flatulence are an ongoing problem of late. /////thats why I think its caused by gerd.

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the followup
Belching can be a part of GERD but flatulence usually indicates an intestinal problem. It is usually due to an altered intestinal mobility or bacterial population.
GERD management involves some lifestyle changes like-
1)Absteinence from alcohol and smoking
2)Avoiding overweight
3)Not to lie down for two hrs after food
4)Eat multiple small meals
5)Diaphragmatic exercises
As of drugs GERD is treated with proton pump inhibitors and prokinetics, for which yiu can get a prescription from your GP
Dr XXXXXXX