Constant pain in right side, excessive gas, swallowing trouble, appetite loss. Endoscopy, gallbladder test done. Gastric bypass history. Reason?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have constant pain in my right side, and gas like you wouldn't believe. (Sorry to be gross). I had a gastric bypass 11 years ago. I have had my gallbladder checked, and a endoscopy - everything showed up normal. Any ideas? I also feel like I'm having trouble swallowing recently and I have no appetite, although I'm not losing weight.

I am 53, female, 5'7", 220 lbs.
Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Your symptoms could most probably be due to gaseous distension of the colon or large intestine which usually gives right abdominal pain.This could also affect your digestion and apetite if there is any partial obstruction to the gut.Any large intestine obstruction or pathology might sometimes be missed on endoscopy .
Since you have had a past history of surgery it's advisable to consult a gastroenterologist and get it further investigated . Even a simple barium contrast X-rays might rule out any significant problem . The doctor might prescribe you antispasmodics and antiglatulents for pain relief .
Meanwhile you can try the following,
1. Sometimes a change in diet like including lots of fibre XXXXXXX foods , plenty of fruits and vegetables etc can help with such issues.
2. Even yoga or exercise daily for atleast half an hour might help you in improving the digestion.
3. Drink plenty of water daily to aid digestion.
Hope this answers your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.

Follow-up: Constant pain in right side, excessive gas, swallowing trouble, appetite loss. Endoscopy, gallbladder test done. Gastric bypass history. Reason? 11 hours later
Thank you! You have given me more information than I've gotten from my regular doctor and two gastroenterologists. I now feel I have a place to start. Thank you again!
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
It's my pleasure to be of any help to you and provide you with relevant information.
I appreciate your efforts as a vigilant and health conscious individual .
Wishing you good health forever.