Constant neck pain, back pain and headaches. Diagnosed with muscle strain. Any suggestion?

I was assaulted 2 times both kicked in the back of the neck, on video my head flies forward. Constant neck pain & lower back pain. Headaches. 1-2 migraines day? I can add that I am a nurse at a detox facility. My neck was not bad until the last assault (#3) where a man attempted to choke me. I saw ER MDs each time but quickly got diagnosed with muscle strain etc. given pain pills & muscle relaxers sent on my way. Now I am off work because driving kills my neck & gives me migraines. Where do I go from here? What type of MD is best?
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pain and Rehab specialists are better

Detailed Answer:

If the serious things are ruled out by the ER physicians and if they label it as muscle strain it takes a month's time to be pain free.

Meantime I recommend seeing a pain plus physical and rehab specialist (MD). Once the inflammation in the muscle subsides with pain killers (NSAIDs) then they can do a massage or electrostimulation to relieve you of residual pain. The NSAIDs get in relief of migraine as well. I would also add Riboflavin plus Magnesium for my patients who have acute attacks. They proved beneficial in many.

I still insist on neck band when you drive or while you sit. Remove it when you go to sleep. Along with this frequent hot showers help in relaxing the muscles.

Hope this helps.
Follow-up: Constant neck pain, back pain and headaches. Diagnosed with muscle strain. Any suggestion? 43 minutes later
I have ulcerative colitis & NSAIDs cause instant GI bleed. Also, no tests were done in ER. Only the hospitalist looking & palpating. I would think a c-spine CT should be done? I take topamax 150mg TID as a migraine prophylactic. It worked for all except menstrual migraines. I also take 60mg Cymbalta q day. At this point I have been up all night in pain, I can not work. It is severely effecting my life.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cervical spine Xray both views first

Detailed Answer:

I order cervical spine xray AP and lateral views first before CT spine. You can take double strength Tylenol as well if the NSAIDs cause bleed. I would add Ribo and Magnesium 400mg per day as well.

Take the C spine Xray to the primary care doctor / Orthopedic surgeon and hospitalists are not trained in trauma care.

Thank you.