Constant hum in ear after intense exercise. Taking insulin for diabetes

ENT Specialist
Question
After very intense exercize (insanity workout) my left ear has a low constant hum. My last blood pressure reading was about 116/80. I take insulin for diabetes. The low hum can last up to a day and a half.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 4 hours later

Thanks for the query...

Well, I would like to tell you about this condition that it is just a benign entity for which you should not worry.

Firstly, let me explain you the mechanism of this condition. The body reacts in turn of vigorous exercises as generalized vasodilatation leading to increased cutaneous blood flow and the person experiences heat and sweating.

In our body there is a tube that connects the ear with our pharynx (throat).In medical terms, this tube is known as the Eustachian tube.

After the exercise, the pharyngeal end of this tube gets blocked due to the vasodilatation leading to swelling near peri tubal area and the blockage of this tube leads to negative air pressure development in the ears which the patient experiences as humming sounds. In medical terms, we call it as 'tinnitus'.

The above mentioned reason is the most common cause for tinnitus and may persist for few weeks. The second most common cause is high blood pressure. As you have already wrote that your blood pressure was within normal limits, so the second cause is excluded.

Now, what you will have to do for this condition-

1. Avoid vigorous exercises; instead of this you may take some pauses in between.

2. Take plenty of fluids.

3. Take adequate sleep.

4. Avoid extremes of temperatures (heat and cold).

5. You may also try Valsalva manoeuvre, it is performed by moderately forceful attempted exhalation against a closed airway, usually done by closing one's mouth, pinching one's nose shut while pressing out as if blowing up a balloon.

6. Take mucolytic syrup, like ambroxol thrice daily after consulting your physician

TRY ALL THIS FOR NEXT SEVEN DAYS AND I AM SURE YOU WILL BE ALRIGHT.DONT WORRY FOR THIS CONDITION AS THIS IS VERY COMMONLY ENCOUNTERED ENTITY IN CLINICAL PRACTICE,

I hope this answer will help you out and I am here for future follow ups.