Constant dull pain in calf, more painful while walking. Haven't done any exercise still calf is sore.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a 26 year old male, around 150lbs and 5'9. I have had some pain in my right calf and XXXXXXX for the last two weeks. It is not prohibitive to me doing anything, however it has been quite constantly dull pain. It is not swollen or anything like that, but it hurts off and on throughout the day. It is a bit more painful when I walk but again it is not stopping me from doing anything. I have worked out a little bit, and last week I ran which I hadn't done in a while. I have not ran or done exercise in a week though and it is still a bit sore.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Pain in the calf and XXXXXXX without any history of injury could be due too inflammation of the muscles- XXXXXXX splints or achilles tendonitis.
To help the pain, ice the area immediately after running. You can use either a store-bought cold pack or a frozen wet towel. Ice for 10 or 15 minutes. To reduce inflammation, take an aspirin or ibuprofen at mealtime.
A 4-inch wide Ace bandage wrapped around the region also helps reduce discomfort.
Calf and anterior (front of) leg stretching and strengthening addresses the biomechanical problems and reduces pain.
Pay careful attention to selecting the correct running shoe based upon the foot type (flexible pronator vs. rigid supinator). This is extremely important. In selected cases, shoe inserts (orthotics) may be necessary.
You may need few physiotherapy sessions along with prescription anti inflammatory drugs.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Constant dull pain in calf, more painful while walking. Haven't done any exercise still calf is sore. 9 minutes later
Many thanks for the response. I googled my symptoms, pain in calf and XXXXXXX and a bit behind the knee. I know i don't have the rest of the symptoms but it talked about dvt online. So you ate not concerned of this condition?

I know googling is probably the worst thing to do!

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
Only mild pain and discomfort without any swelling or redness or tenderness of calves is not suggestive of DVT.
You can get your self investigated for the same to get an appropriate treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.