Constant dry, rough, red spots on arms, legs, chest, bleeding if scratched. Used skin lotions. No relief. Treatment?

Dermatologist
Question
Dry, rough, red spots on arms, legs, and chest (with a few on the hands and feet). I've had the spots for years now and new ones appear on occasion. They do not itch. No spots have appeared on my face or neck.,

So far I have tried a variety of different skin lotions (no effect). Scratching off rough spots (causes bleeding but eventually heals to the original status). Wear SPF 50 sunscreen on whole body 365 days/yr, but I'm unsure if that has slowed the appearance of the spots.
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 3 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query and also uploading the picture. I have taken a close look at them.

The lesions in the photograph suggests that you most probably are suffering from nothing else but papular urticaria where red papular lesions erupt as a result of application of some cream, mosquito bites, sun allergy etc.

The history that the lesions erupt, heal and again come up is suggestive of a continued exposure to the causative thing.

Treatment for such lesions involve application of combination creams consisting of mild steroids and anti bacterials.

I hope I have answered your query. Please do write back in case you have follow up queries to ask.

Dr.Rohit Batra

Follow-up: Constant dry, rough, red spots on arms, legs, chest, bleeding if scratched. Used skin lotions. No relief. Treatment? 34 hours later
The spots do not actually disappear and reappear; once a spot appears it stays.

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 19 hours later
Dear Ms. XXXXXXX

The lesions of papular urticaria do leave a XXXXXXX which fades off slowly, we call it post inflammatory hyper/hypo pigmentation. Do not scratch this can lead to secondary infection. Occasionally the eruption can clear up for years and then recur unexpectedly. It is not associated with serious complaint and is never a serious disease.

The treatment option remains same as given. Cleaning the house and applying the insecticides when you are out can be beneficial.

Dr.Rohit Batra