Constant crying baby,not sleeping,given gripe water.Suggestions ?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
my baby has been crying since morning 4.30 and not sleeping although she is sleepy.only during feeds she is quiet and falls of to sleep but the moment i put her on the bed she wakes up and starts crying.i gave her gripe water thinking it to be stomach ache but even after that she is crying.kindly help
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 10 hours later

Every mother has to go through through this phase of baby's irritable crying.
There are many reasons for your baby's crying, in case if your baby is less than six months old, there is a high probability that it could be due to abdominal colic which is a self improving normal maturation process of your baby's gut. There could be other problems too, but if you are already giving gripe water, i suggest you to continue the same, till you see a pediatrician, dont worry if she is feeding normally and is consolable during feeds, nothing to worry....maybe your feeds are not adequate.

Babies generally grow in spurts. Some days they feed less, somedays they feed more than what the mother can give, but this is all normal . Dont worry

My suggesions to you
1) Do no panic. Keep your baby feeding at alternate breasts( keep changing the side after each feed)
2) Give gripe water once or twice and see if it helps
3) If not let the baby suckle as long as she/he wants
4) Consult a pediatrician if any of the above measures donot work

Do not worry ..You baby will be fine...Forget your anxiety and be calm...if baby is calm during feeds, hopefully it will settle soon..

If You have any further queries I am more than willing to help

Wishing your baby stops crying soon

Dr Arun