Constant cold and allergic to dust. Taking citrogen for allergy. Is there permanent cure?

Mar 2016

My wife has a problem of constant cold. She has allergy to dust or smoke and it aggravates her problem. Even normally, she catches cold very quickly and even a cold drink cause her to have closed and runny nose in the night. She usually takes this medicine for allergy "Citrogen". This helps for couple of days but the cold comes back again.
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

From your given history and clinical picture, I can assume that your wife is mostly suffering from dust allergy and common cold due to altered immunity in response to seasonal changes or in contact with allergen and dust particles.

In this case, I would treat her by combined medication of levocetirizine and montelukast which act as anti histamine and leukotriene receptor antagonist respectively. Nasal decongestant like oxymetazoline may be advisable for her. They reduce inflammation of upper respiratory tract and help to get relief from presenting condition. Kindly, procure a complete prescription from her physician.

Some basic home remedies can improve her condition and prevent recurrence:

a) Drinking plenty of water or fruit juice to stay hydrated and keep throat moist.

b) Inhaling steam or use saline nasal spray to ease nasal congestion and drippy nose.

c) Staying away from household dust, pollens, powders, droplets, smoke, allergen substances etc.

d) Taking one teaspoon honey & tulsi juice in the morning or hot drink like milk at bed time is quite helpful.

e) Taking hot shower bath, sleep with an extra pillow under head and vitamin-C supplements are very much essential.

Hope it helps for your information. If you have any other query, you can freely ask me.

Wish her good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen