Constant ache in breast, occasional stabbing. Could be going through menopause. Irregular period. Why is this happening?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi I am a 42 year old woman, I currently have a fairly constant ache in and above my left breast, with occasional sharp stabbing, also seem to be going though menopause as periods have become very infrequent and random over the last year or so - had a period two weeks ago after not having one for months. The breast / chest ache is worrying me at the moment mostly though - am aware of it almost all the time, aches slightly more if I bend forward - any advice would be much appreciated
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 4 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

It is common for the breast to pain with hormonal changes

But considering the fact that you have the same while bending and the quality of pain as sharp stabbing forwards points to the muscular origin of the same

But looking at your age it is always advisable to go for a self examination of the breast and annual mammography if there is history of breast disease in the family

Also keep watching for discharge from nipple , any lump in breast and if present any increase in size of the lump

In the mean time you may try an antiinflammatory along with ice sponging to see if there is any relief in pain

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries
If there are no further doubts, do accept my reply and rate it

Get Well Soon