Consitent platelet count is below 150,000. Feels tired and fatigued. Vitamin D3 test showed 20.4. How to increase platelet and height?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
My son is 14 1/2 years old. His platelet count has consistently below 150,000 for last 6months or more. Today it was tested and found to be 125,000. He feels tired and fatigued. Vitamin D3 test showed figure as 20.4 which is also deficient. He started puberty at 12 years and as a result height is only 5 feet 3 inches but hair is on face and body. Advise how to increase platelet and height
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 41 minutes later
Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your post, I would suggest that your son should supplement his diet with Vitamin B12 and Folic acid.
He can take foods such as spinach, dried beans and citrus fruits which are XXXXXXX in folic acid. Foods like eggs, mutton, cheese, milk and liver are XXXXXXX in Vitamin B12.

Vitamin C is also beneficial as it helps to strengthen the walls of the blood vessels.

For increasing the Vitamin D3 levels he can take half XXXXXXX of calcirol XXXXXXX once a week for 2 months. The contents is to be dissolved in milk and then taken.

Height depend upon many factors including genetic/hereditary factors and other hormonal factors. Safest method to increase the height is to do some aerobic exercises, yoga and athletics.
But he should avoid any such activity at present, which can cause injury and result in bleeding (due to low platelet count).

He should take rest and drink lots of pure water to remain healthy.
He can be given vitamin supplements containing Vitamin B12, Folic acid and Vitamin C after discussing with his doctor.

I hope this is helpful to you.
If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.
Regards. Thanks.