Consistent swelling in groin that gets tender occasionally. Treatment?

Hi I have a swelling in my left groin it's been there for 6 months. A little tender some times
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It would be very appropriate to get a little more detailed information with respect to this swelling, and for sure a clinical evaluation.
Is this swelling increasing in size, decreasing or stays the same?
Are there particular moments you feel more pain?
Any fever or associated enlarged lymph nodes noticed?

Pain in the groin area, especially in men could suggest most of the time a hernia. They generally increase in size with increased intra abdominal pressure, coughing and prolonged standing. If not repaired appropriately and on time, this might predispose to complications like torsion, or at times incarceration of the intestines.

The swelling in the groin could also be an inflamed lymph node. It would then be appropriate to examine the general environment to see if there are any local infectious processes occurring around the area that could lead to the swelling. Other serious problems further from this area, like tumors could be revealed by a swollen lymph node in the groin area. A blood clot in this area (hematoma) and lipomas or liposarcoma (fat tissue tumors) are some rare conditions that could be observed in some patients.

I would strongly suggest you consult your family physician for a complete clinical evaluation and management. Thanks and hope this helps,

Best regards,
Dr Luchuo, MD.