Consistent sinus and ear clogging. How can this issue be resolved?

ENT Specialist
I've been experiencing clogged sinuses and ears intermittenly for 4 or 5 years and would go away on its own. Recently however it seems to be occuring more often and lasting for a longer period of time. for the past two weeks, I've been experiencing the same issue. I don't have any known allergies and I don't have symptoms of a cold, at least none that I am aware of.

I tried to clean out my ears using hydrogen peroxide, but otherwise have done nothing, nor taken anything to resolve this issue.
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 42 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The common causes for progressive nasal congestion in the twenties and thirties are:
a. DNS (Deviated Nasal Septum),
b. Hypertophied nasal turbinates (chronic nasal congestion),
c. Intrinsic or Vasomotor rhinitis (stress related),
d. Persistent Adenoid tissue (clogged ears),
e. Chronic Sinusitis,
and so on.

2. Get an Ear and Nasal examination, a nasal endoscopy and Sinus CT done. A tympanometry (Impedance Audiometry) may help determine if the ears are indeed getting clogged due to Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (ETD) secondary to a nasal problem.

3. A Post Nasal Drip (PND) due to nasal and sinus congestion will worsen acid reflux. Acid reflux may worsen sinusitis and a vicious cycle ensues which must be broken. Supportive treatment such as mucolytics, steroid nasal sprays, anti allergic decongestants and regular steam inhalation may have to be taken besides the prilosec.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.