Consistent rash on outer thighs, starts with a small dots, gets itchy and hot with redness over the area. What could it be?

Hi, I am XXXXXXX For the past 20 years I have developed a skin rash on my outer thighs, in May every year. The rash starts with small red dots, which become raised, itchy and hot at night, lots of redness around the area. The first time this happened it was like a bite that developed into a large, deep sore, which took months to go away. Since that first time it has been as I described above. The rash takes a long time to go away, a couple of months, more if I have scratched too much (usually in my sleep). It has been suggested to me that it could have been a spider bite in the first instance. Drs have no clues. Can you please help. Thankyou.
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 hours later
From the description provided I can think of few possibilities like urticaria, fungal infection, prurigo , eczema or lichen simplex chronicus.
I would be in a better position to help you out, if you could upload an image of concerned lesion. You can upload the image by clicking on upload report/ image icon or you may also send the pics to YYYY@YYYY . Also mention ATTN DR Kalpana Pathak in subject line.
Hoping to hear from you soon.