Consistent nasal blockage, continuous mucus discharge in throat, occasional pain in jaws and ears. Possible reason?

ENT Specialist
Question
Dear sir,
i am having a blocked nose for about 6 months now, and continuous discharge of mucus in my throat ,
While my nose is blocked my eyes pain a lot and sometimes get red , and also sometimes pain in my jaws, ears....what could be the possible reason ?
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Chronic nasal obstruction requires a nasal examination and endoscopy to check for allergy, infection (including fungal), sinusitis, DNS (Deviated Nasal Septum), nasal turbinate hypertrophy, nasal polyps, tumours and so on.

2. Do you get the nasal blockage on both sides? It it worse on one side? Do you have any other symptoms such as sneezing, nasal discharge besides the PND (Post Nasal Drip)? Red eyes are seen commonly with nasal allergy. The pain in the ears and jaw may be due to sinusitis, Eustachian tube blockage or as a referred pain due to common nerve supply. An ear examination and dental check-up will settle the issue.

3. If your examination is normal, you may request your doctor to give you a trial of an anti-allergic, anti-leukotriene, a steroid nasal spray and regular steam inhalation for at least two weeks. If there is no improvement, get a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) done. Further treatment will depend upon the CT Scan findings.

I must emphasise that these are common symptoms and not a cause for worry.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Consistent nasal blockage, continuous mucus discharge in throat, occasional pain in jaws and ears. Possible reason? 6 hours later
Yes sir blockage is worse on one side but the other side also gets blocked if i tilt my face that side for about 10-15 minutes........................is it a common problem...................

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. This is most likely to be a DNS or nasal turbinate hypertrophy.

2. This is very common complaint from people at your age.

3. Follow the treatment plan mentioned above.

4. You may follow up with your reports here for further treatment options.

Regards.