Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Consistent high BP. Should it be of concern, advise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 624 Questions
My BP has been consistantly high for the past 3 days. Just now it was 147/100. Should I call my Dr?
Posted Thu, 24 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

As your blood pressure is continuously high for more than 3 days, & hypertension effects almost all organs in the body, you should consult your Physician, who will take your history, examine you for sign & symptoms suggestive of secondary hypertension due to kidney or endocrine related diseases, and on this basis will decide the requirement of tests, go through reports & put you on treatment accordingly.

High Blood pressure means that systolic blood pressure continuously remains above 130 mm of mercury and diastolic blood pressure above 90mm in all main arteries. This condition is a chronic medical condition, called Hypertension. It in turn requires heart to work harder. Hypertension is mainly of two types.(1) Primary and (2)Secondary. More than 90% cases are labelled as suffering with Primary/Essential Hypertension, for which there is no obvious underlying medical cause. Remaining 5-10% suffer with secondary hypertension, which is caused by other medical conditions. To confirm Hypertension ambulatory blood pressure measurements are required at least for 7 days.

Hope I have replied your query.
If you have any further question, I am available to assist you.
Wish you good health,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor