Consistent high BP. Should it be of concern, advise?

My BP has been consistantly high for the past 3 days. Just now it was 147/100. Should I call my Dr?
Posted Thu, 24 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

As your blood pressure is continuously high for more than 3 days, & hypertension effects almost all organs in the body, you should consult your Physician, who will take your history, examine you for sign & symptoms suggestive of secondary hypertension due to kidney or endocrine related diseases, and on this basis will decide the requirement of tests, go through reports & put you on treatment accordingly.

High Blood pressure means that systolic blood pressure continuously remains above 130 mm of mercury and diastolic blood pressure above 90mm in all main arteries. This condition is a chronic medical condition, called Hypertension. It in turn requires heart to work harder. Hypertension is mainly of two types.(1) Primary and (2)Secondary. More than 90% cases are labelled as suffering with Primary/Essential Hypertension, for which there is no obvious underlying medical cause. Remaining 5-10% suffer with secondary hypertension, which is caused by other medical conditions. To confirm Hypertension ambulatory blood pressure measurements are required at least for 7 days.

Hope I have replied your query.
If you have any further question, I am available to assist you.
Wish you good health,