Consistent headache. CT scan clear. Trying to taper BP medicines. Could that be the cause?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
I have had a headache for 5 weeks now. a c scan showed clear. I am trying to cut back on bp meds. Could it be them? the pain is all over, sometimes little shooting pains then nauseaus headache. thanks YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not suggestive of any serious problem, and there is no need to worry.

The most likely cause for your headache could be muscle tension headache. This would get better with Amitriptyline tablets.

Reducing BP medications may cause headaches if BP levels are high, otherwise no.

Normal CT scan of brain is a good news.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: Consistent headache. CT scan clear. Trying to taper BP medicines. Could that be the cause? 1 hour later
I am monitoring my bp and it is ok after a cut back on a med. It is Diavan. Does it have history of headaches. How can I end this headache?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 42 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

If BP is ok, there is no need to worry, and that is not the cause of your headaches. The current BP medication you are using is fine.

For muscle tension headaches, you may take amitriptyline tablets for about 4-6 weeks. For pain relief, you may take diclofenac or ibuprofen tablets.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)