Consistent flu with sore throat, fatigue, headaches, night sweats. Is this normal?

ENT Specialist
Doctor I have had flu for approximate 10 days accompanied by sore throat, fatigue and headaches. Night sweats are concerning me I seem to be slowly getting better but can't sleep without waking up damp all over with no fever present. Is this normal? How long will the night sweats last ? I'm taking panadol and antibiotics
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. If you have night sweats, you should seek immediate medical advice.

2. Influenza is known to also cause night sweats. These would normally subside in a week or two.

3. There are many reasons that may cause night sweats including any viral fevers, infections, tuberculosis, lymphomas, side effects of medications and so on.

4. Taking medication will reduce the severity and duration of symptoms. Hence complete the course of your current medication. Get adequate rest and keep yourself well hydrated.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.