Consistent cough that worsens at night with yellowish brown mucus, severs on cold days. Help?

Jan 2013

About a month ago I went on vacation down to Florida. When I arrived back, I began to develop cold like symptoms (stuffed nose, sore throat, mucusy cough). All of my symptoms went away after about 6 days but the cough has remained with me since then. It has gotten better but still does occur multiple times a day. I still experience coughing up light yellow mixed with dark yellow/brown mucus from time to time and this worries me. The cough seems to always get worse at night before bed and when I am lying down. I have also noticed that the cough becomes more severe on cold days and after physical activities. Thank You
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described symptoms, there appears to high possibility of acute viral upper bacterial infection and viral bronchitis.
Worsening of cough during night, cough with dark yellow colored sputum suggests the diagnosis.
Viral infection generally persist for 3-5 days and self remitting in nature; association with secondary bacterial infection may cause delayed recovery.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ ENT surgeon and chest physician and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, and chest x XXXXXXX on preliminary basis.

Treatment depends on exact diagnosis.
Meanwhile, you should also take complete antibiotic therapy, decongestants, cough suppressants and antipyretics.
Requirement of bronchodilator therapy is decided only after clinical examination.

You should also perform gargles three times in a day; a glass of lukewarm water with a pinch of salt.
Avoid cold drinks, oily food and yogurt and juices.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava