Consistent allergy, fever, night sweats, lump under jaw that seems to be persistent. Any ideas?

ENT Specialist
I have had a sinus /allergy thing going on for about 3 week coughing up green stuff, stuffed up noes, I am still occasionally coughing up stuff although it is getting much better. I am a bit of a worry wart and what has me troubled is for the last two years I have had a lump under the right side of my jaw ( I assumed a lymph node) it has not changed size since then or bothered me. My cousin last week discovered she had lymphoma. Upon reading that I started worrying about my lump the usual rubbing it and worrying about which lead me to the Internet bad idea. The last night or two I have had trouble sleeping and worrying about night sweat just my head and neck area and I would call it more clammy feeling then sweat drenched, no fever This has been on my mind causing me anxiety.
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 40 minutes later

Thanks for writing your query.

I read your query and as said you are having stuffiness in nose with occasional cough and the phlegm comming out is green, this favors bacterial infection of sinuses and throat as allergic exudates are always colourless watery and froathy. At the same time you have also noticed an enlarged lymph node in the neck behind the angle of jaw.

As per your symptoms it appears as you are suffering from sinusitis with cervical lymphadenitis.

I don't feel this lump and the other symptoms indicated a possible lymphoma. Now I would like to suggest you for these three basic investigations; they can help us isolate the cause and exclude lymphoma per se

(a) C.T. scan of paranasal sinuses.

(b) Culture and sensitivity of nasal discharge / throat swab.

(c) FNAC from neck lump.

By above investigations one can know about the infecting organism/ slection of antibiotic / pathological process going on. thus after getting this much one can plan for treatment easily.

A qualified ENT surgeon will know about these tests. Therefore it would be worth visiting one.

I hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarification.

Follow-up: Consistent allergy, fever, night sweats, lump under jaw that seems to be persistent. Any ideas? 6 hours later
Thank you I was really worried about the sweaty head and neck while I sleep, again it is more of a light sweat and I'm left with a clammy feeling. Like I said I am feeling better with lighter colored phlegm, and not as much coughing.
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 6 hours later

Thanks for writing back to us.

In reference to your query regarding light sweat and clammy feeling, I think it is most likely due to anxiety.

Do not be panicked. Visit an ENT surgeon and plan for the aforementioned tests. I am sure the results will allay all your fears.

Hope this helped. I will be glad to address other issues.