Considering vasectomy. Worry about testosterone and auto immune problems due to sperm antibodies?

I am considering a vasectomy. I have read many of the risks associated with a vasectomy. I understand the possibility of pain that occurs with about 2% of those who have had vasectomies. My biggest concern is related to testosterone and auto immune problems due to sperm antibodies. My questions center around these two issues. As an endocrinologist do you see a link to low testosterone with your patients who have had vasectomies? I have read where there begins to be problems 15-20 years later and am very concerned whether or not I need to be concerned (if that makes sense). Also, is there a need to be concerned about antisperm antibodies? Thanks!
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 47 minutes later
Good Afternoon

Than you for the question.

Vasectomy is not known to cause any testosterone deficiency. As a general adult endocrinologist, I am not aware of any testosterone imbalance being induced by a vasectomy procedure. This should allay any concerns you may have about vasectomy related hormonal problems.
As far as anti sperm antibodies are concerned, typically a reproductive endocrinologist is the best authority to consult in this regard. However, I can assure you that such antibodies do not have any impact on testosterone production by the testicles.

Hope this satisfactorily addresses your query
Follow-up: Considering vasectomy. Worry about testosterone and auto immune problems due to sperm antibodies? 51 minutes later
Have you seen in your practice any link to low testosterone in men who have had vasectomies in thier past? What do you make of all the stuff on internet that suggest low testosterone and vasectomy? Just mainly worried about low testosterone 20 plus years from now if I am still alive. Also the question about antisperm antibodies has to do with autoimmune problems suggested by some. Have you heard of any link to autoimmune trouble in the future?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 5 hours later
Vasectomy is certainly not a known cause of testosterone problems, either immediate or several years later. As an endocrinologist , I deal with testosterone deficiency fairly commonly and to the best of my knowledge and according to the current standard guidelines in this field, vasectomy is definitely not a cause of low testosterone.
Regarding anti sperm antibodies.....yes it is an auto-immune phenomenon which has been associated with infertility in couples. However, this subject falls in the domain of a reproductive endocrinologist