Considering lumbar fusion, would prefer minimally invasive surgery. Open surgery better?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Iam considering having lumbar fusion for l4, l5 levels. I have met three surgeons. One is doing minimally inavisve the other two open surgery. I want miinimally invasive since its obvious benefits of less recovewry time and blood loss, etc. My wife is in favor of the open saying minimally is not well known and standard yet to see whether it will e effective. i want a orthopaedic surgeon or neurosugeon advice. XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 29 minutes later
A minimally invasive surgery is definitely better than an open surgery both in terms of patient inconvenience and post operative recovery.
A percutaneous arthroscopic discectomy- minimally invasive surgery is a relatively short procedure, only taking ½ hour to 45 minutes to perform with a quick recovery ensured afterwards. In this procedure, the surgeon uses X-ray monitoring and fiber optics resulting in pictures displayed on a monitor similar to a TV screen, therefore allowing the surgeon to see what is compressing the nerve during the procedure and remove it with laser, ensuring a much higher rate of success.
I will recommend you to go for minimally invasive surgery if the operating surgeon is confident and experienced to deal with such cases.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow-up: Considering lumbar fusion, would prefer minimally invasive surgery. Open surgery better? 29 minutes later
If this takes hours to get back any answer it is not worth. i would say just return my money and let us forget the whole thing. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

In case of an emergency opinion a live chat with a doctor would have been a better option for you.
I sincerely apologize for the delay in answering

Wish you good health.