Connection between stomach gas, digestion problem, irregular bowel movement and irregular heart beat?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
any connection between stomach gas, digestion problem and heart irregulart beating, I have irregular bowl also, time to time I am getting irregulart heart beat, gap between puls, but feel my stomach full of gas
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 34 minutes later

The relationship between cardiac and gastrointestinal disease is a complex one – disorders of the two systems commonly co-exist. In addition, it has commonly been observed that patients suffering with gastrointestinal disturbance suffer from cardiac symptoms like chest pain and arrhythmia. This is due to the effect of autonomic nervous control of both cardiac and gastrointestinal system.

So it is likely that a person having primary gut problem like gastro esophageal disease or IBS (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) may present with tachycardia or arrhythmia (missed beats) or angina.

But the reverse is also likely that gas bloating, epigastric burning may coexist or present with cardiac disorders like angina or rhythm disturbances.

So it is advisable that if you have objectively felt an irregular heart beat you should consult your doctor and get an electrocardiogram (ECG) done to confirm the diagnosis.

Without a thorough examination including blood pressure, chest auscultation and ECG nothing can be said conclusively.