Congestion, stuffy nose, coughing, muscle pain. Flu or bronchitis? Have diabetes, neuropathy and sarcoidosis.

ENT Specialist
congestion, stuffy nose, coughing spasms for last week. flu or bronchitis?my wife & i have been having a lot of coughing spasms with stuffy noses and phlegm is clear & sometimes yellowish. she has much muscle pain & was on antibiotics prior to getting ill. it all began when we had a cold spell one night & no heat, which we won't have until the end of November, with assistance. she is disabled with diabetes, diabetic neuropathy, & sarcoidosis.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Congestion, stuffy nose and coughing spasms are the features of Acute Sinusitis and the muscle pain is due to the ongoing infection.

As mentioned above the symptoms you have mentioned are the typical features of Acute Sinusitis, initially the sinusitis will be viral in origin associated with or without fever and severe body ache.

Cough following nasal congestion is because of the post nasal drip. Please do not worry, it is a treatable condition and you need to follow few simple instructions to get rid of it. Moreover your wife is diabetic; hence the infection has to be treated with much more care with close monitoring of her blood sugar levels.

I would suggest both of you to drink plenty of warm water (this helps in reducing the congestion and easy clearance of the mucus secretions), instillation of saline nasal drops followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times/day, take a mucolytic (such as bromhexine or ambroxyl), antibiotic (such as a combination of Amoxycillin and Clavulanic acid) after consulting physician and avoid coffee as it worsens the congestion and thickens the mucus.

If this does not improve in a few days time it is better to consult a good ENT specialist for a thorough evaluation and management.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon