Congested ears from sinus infection, taking antibiotics, am preganant. What else can I do to clear ears?

I have severe congestion in both ears from a sinus infection, my nose has cleared out but my ears are totally congested. I am also 4 1/2 months pregnant, what can I do to help clear my ears?? I am already on antibiotics prescribed by my doctor, but I was wondering if there was anything else I could do now, to help the clear my ears.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Congestion of ears is commonly associated with sinus infection. Since you are taking the antibiotics, the inflammation will subside in 7-10 days. To help improve your symptoms you can-
1. Use XXXXXXX warm water for drinking.
2. Do steam inhalation at least twice daily- Take hot water in a vessel, put eucalyptus oil in it. Inhale it by covering yourself with a blanket. See to it that fans/AC are not on during this and after some time also i.e. around 10-15 minutes.
3. Avoid all irritants like perfumes, soot, etc.
4.Use nasal decongestant or steroid drops or sprays for decongestion which encourages drainage.
5. you can also have some lozenges to relive the blockage.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.