Congenital thyroid problem, taking thyroxine, low sex drive. Pregnancy possible? Baby will get thyroid?

Question
Sir,
My wife is a congenital thyroid patient. Age 30, Height 155 cm,weight 43 kg,BMI-17.8Kg/m, TSH is 0.040, Ultrasound impression : No evidence of ectopic thyroid tissue seen sonologically,she is taking thyroxine sodium tablet since the childhood from the age five.We got married 6 months before.She is neither having the sexual feelings nor symptoms of Shyness.Her sex drive is very low and weak. For this age, Sexual organs are not properly grown like other normal female persons.
In addition to above she is having the following symptoms/Problems.
a.Nervousness.
b.Excessive Sweating,
c.Vision Problem,
d.Memory lapses,
e.Insomnia,
f.Irregular and scant menstrual flow,
g.memory loss,
h XXXXXXX sleeping(More than 10 hours),
i.Poor concentration in house hold works,
j.Very weak and intake is low,
K.Migraine Headache and
i.Hypertension
Kindly suggest me Can I go for a child.
Whether she will get pregnancy? Will the new born also get the thyroid problem?.
Regards XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 11 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

1. You have not mentioned the dose of thyroxine she is presently on. Her TSH(Thyrotrophin-stimulating hormone) value is suppressed which means the thyroxine dosage has to be reduced.

Before planning pregnancy TSH has to be in the normal range of 1-2.5 mIU/ml.

2. Most of the congenital hypothyroid patients are fertile and there is no reason why your wife should not be fertile. But there can be associated other problems - so some additional tests will have to be done to ensure that everything is all right. For this you need to consult an endocrinologist and a gynaecologist close to your place.

3. Newborn will not get thyroid problem in more than 95% of cases of mothers with congenital hypothyroidism. So the chance of your child getting thyroid problem is very low.

4. You can definitely plan pregnancy but ensure that all the hormonal parameters are controlled and are in normal range before conceiving.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.