Confusion in a patient's blood group. Want opinion.

We have confusion in a pateints blood group just want your opinion

Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

Your query is regarding the determination of blood group. The most common reason is for transfusion of blood or its components.

I would like to advise the following:

1. In case there is confusion regarding the blood group, you should get it re examined in the lab. It is a very simple procedure carried out in the pathology/ hematology laboratory. There are ready made kits for determination of blood group in labs by agglutination method.

2. Prior to any transfusion matching and cross matching of the recipient blood is absolutely mandatory.

3. The difference between O+ve and O-ve blood is the presence or absence of Rh factor. O+ve blood has Rh factor present in it and O-ve blood has no Rh factor in it.

4. There will be no reaction if by mistake or in emergency O-ve blood is given to O+ blood group individual however the vice versa is not true. Hence O-ve blood group is also called the universal donor (It can be theoretically transfused to all blood groups).

Hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up query if any.
Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra