Confusion, dizziness, shakiness, blurred vision, diagnosed with fibromyalgia, have athlete's foot, sore big toe, carpel tunnel. Am I at risk of diabetes?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
i have been having hypoglyceamia symptoms for years. confusion, dizziness, confusion, shakiness,
feeling faint, blurred vision. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1995. i suffer from worsining carpel tunnell, sore big toe, severe athletes foot, a feeling like carpel tunnell in my feet, restless legs, burning in my legs especially at night. I had a fasting blood glucose reading of 5.9 last week. my father was type 11 diabetic. Am i at risk or diabetes 11
Posted Mon, 9 Jul 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Hello ,
Thanks for posting your query .
Considering your details , yes you might be at risk of type2 diabetes mellitus .
However your fasting blood glucose levels are within the normal . The recommended levels are,
fasting plasma glucose level of 70–130 mg/dL (3.9-7.2 mmol/L) and after meals less than 180 mg/dL (10 mmol/L).
The best way to confirm is to get a test called HbA1c along with fasting and post prandial blood glucose levels on the same day.
As of now I cannot comment on the diagnosis but since you are at risk ( with positive family history and neuropathic symptoms) its best to consult a diabetologist or your physician and get the confirmatory tests done as soon as feasible.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.