Confused about pregnancy. Pregnews showed variable result. What does the test mean?

Hello doctor,

I am little confused about my pregnancy as my last month menstrual date was 8th august and today is 11th sep. i have missed my period. I have taken test with preganews in morning. It showed one line dark and other was light in colour which appeared after 3 to 4 min. Before marriage my periods were irregular and after marriage i.e. from past 4 months it was regular. What does the test mean?
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 30 minutes later
Two points are in favour of pregnancy-
1. You have missed your period,
2. Pregnancy test is positive.
But in normal pregnancy, three days after missing period; test should be strongly positive.
To be weakly positive is a matter of worry; because it increases the possibility of extra uterine pregnancy means abnormal one.
So get your repeat urine pregnancy test & trans vaginal scan done under guidance of your doctor. A serum beta hCG level can also help in confirming the pregnancy.
I will be available for your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Confused about pregnancy. Pregnews showed variable result. What does the test mean? 16 hours later
After how many days i should go for test in laboratory and what all test should i take.
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 23 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
You can repeat your urine pregnancy test right now. If you still have a doubtful result; get your blood beta-HCG test done.
If blood beta-HCG test remains is within satisfactory range according to gestational age, get your ultrasound scan done after one week; otherwise it would be urgent to know whether pregnancy is intrauterine or extra-uterine means urgent ultrasound would be done.
I will also advise you to consult your gynaecologist for local examination.
I hope your query has been answered. I will be available for your further queries.