Ask a Urologist   »  

Confirmed UTI. Urine culture positive. Enterobacter Aerogenes and leucocytes present. What is the reason for repeated infections?

I have had two confirmed UTI's since Feb 2012. Both Uranalysis came back negative but the culture came back positive. A culture was completed inbetween so I know they are two seperate infections. The bacteria involed is Enterobater Aerogenes.

I now believe I have another infection less than a month later. The Culture is not back yet but the uranalysis came back this time with a trace amount of leukocyes. Is this another infection? Why do I keep getting these infections and where/why would I be getting Enterobater Aerogenes infections?
Posted Sun, 10 Jun 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 11 hours later

Sorry to hear about that.

UTI is more common in women due to short urethra (urine outlet pipe). It is also common during the honey-moon period. The bacteria comes from your own body and not from outside. Pls see the end of this answer for preventive methods.

Repeated episodes need to be evaluated for a possible underlying cause like stone/block and so on.

You probably need ultrasound scan of the urinary tract to look for stones and residual urine, uroflowmetry test to look for obstruction, to start with.

If no cause is found, u need long term antibiotics in a low dose form for three to six months to prevent recurrence.

Common ways for a wellbeing and prevention of repeated episodes are,
1. To empty the bladder at bedtime, before and after the sexual act.
2. Consume enough water and fluids.
3. Use water to clean (ablution) the part after opening bowels, instead of tissue paper.

Hope this answer is of some use to you. I would be happy if this answer benefits you.

Pls get back for any doubts. I am ready to answer.
Get well soon.

Dr G Srinivasan.