Condom slipped. Wife missed period. Medicines to avoid pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
Last week on 6th may my condom slliped off,and now my wife's period is missing which would have come on 17 or 18th may,I am very much worring about her getting pregnant,b'coz we have a baby just a year old, and we donot want next so much early,we had not involved in intercourse these days,but had one and happened this, pl. help.give some home remedies this is very early period.suggest medicnes to avoid unwanted pregnancy .
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 minutes later

Periods can get delayed due to many causes.
But as there is possibility of pregnancy in your case, better to rule out that.
Let your wife undergo urine test for pregnancy once.
-If the test comes negative, wait for one more week possibly by that time she will get periods.
-If the test comes positive, consult gynecologist once and go for one ultrasound.
Ultrasound is needed to confirm the intrauterine pregnancy, the gestational age and to exclude the ectopic pregnancy.
After that with the doctor's advice you can take tablets for abortion.
Home remedies are usually not helpful for abortion and they can lead to some complications.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Condom slipped. Wife missed period. Medicines to avoid pregnancy? 3 hours later
Thank you Doctor.
You have answered my query.
I have a query,what if the test comes negative,and my wife do not get periods then shall we rely on the test or go to gynecologist?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 13 minutes later

If the test comes negative, you wait for one more week. If your wife gets periods by this time, it is good.
If not, as some urine pregnancy test kits may not detect early pregnancy, you can repeat the test after one week. If the test comes positive you consult gynecologist.
If the test comes negative after one week and if your wife do not get periods even by that time, let her consult gynecologist and take tablets for withdrawal bleeding.

If you do not want to wait for one week, you go for blood test for pregnancy. That can give more accurate result in early pregnancy also.
If the test comes negative, consult gynecologist and take tablets for withdrawal bleeding.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.