Condom failed during intercourse, withdrew during ovulation time. Had modus. How to avoid pregnancy?

Infertility Specialist
Hi Doctor,
During our intercourse condom failed and my boyfriend came out in me on 21st Jan(last sunday).It's my ovulation time and i felt i could become pregnant and i had Modus 10 mg in another 10 hrs.Will it help me to avoid pregnancy.I am taking 2 tablets daily night.Please suggest me a solution to avoid pregnancy.I am very much stressed about this.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Since you had intercourse around your ovulation time, chances of pregnancy exit. Modus is a tablet containing Medroxy profesterone. It is not going to help you as a contraceptive.

Modus tablet can be used to postpone periods or some other conditions like excessive bleeding etc... Unfortunately it is not a strong contraceptive and will not stop your from getting pregnancy.

Hence my advice would be to see a gynecologist in person to confirm your ovulation status by scan. Since you have PCO you may ovulate little late which is advantage for you from not getting pregnant. Gynecologist also will be able to prescribe you Pregnancy termination pills after examining you and doing an ultrasound

If you have no further queries, please accept my answer.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: Condom failed during intercourse, withdrew during ovulation time. Had modus. How to avoid pregnancy? 4 hours later
Thanks on that and also how can an i examine myself whether i am pregnant.Because on the day of our intercourse after some 3-4 hrs i felt like bloting and my body tempreature increased.Can i take a pregnancy test in home and what kit can i use.Please suggest me.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 45 minutes later
If you miss your next period, please do a urine pregnancy test at home. You can use the "Velocit kit" for doing a urine pregnancy test. Prefer to use an early morning urine sample and follow the instructions on the kit. Instructions are written in it as to how to use the kit for diagnosing pregnancy. The earliest blood test that can be done is a serum beta human chorionic gonadotropin level (beta hCG levels) which can be done after 13 days from today. This test can help confirm whether you have conceived or not.

The symptoms what you are suggesting like bloating and increased body temperature are more suggestive of ovulation rather than pregnancy. Ovulation can be confirmed by ultrasound scan from a gynaecologist as I told you earlier. In any case, please see a gynaecologist who can still prescribe emergency contraception after examining you.

Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.