Condom broke while having sex. On birth control packs and skipping placebo. Effective way to prevent pregnancy?

My boyfriend and I had sex and the condom broke. I have been on birth control for a year and a half. I am currently on week 3 of my 4 week birth control packs. I was wondering if I should finish week 3 and start a new pack, skipping the placebo pills, or finish the entire pack. Which would be more effective in keeping me from becoming pregnant?
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Happy to help!

Detailed Answer:
Assuming that you take the pill every day, about the same time every day, and with no skipped pills, then your chance of pregnancy is extremely low. There is no added contraceptive benefit to taking the pills continuously versus what you are already doing. I would continue taking them just like you normally would. Take a pregnancy test in 2 weeks to assure that you are not pregnant too!

I hope this helps!!