Concerned about very low blood pressure

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Is a BP of 108/68 too low for a 74 year old male who doesn't feel good at the moment? I have selected category hypertension/heart disease, but he is not considered as having heart disease and his blood pressure is usally very acceptable at the Doctors' offices, but I don't think he has ever had a reading as low as 108/68; that is what concerns me!
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later

Hypotension is termed as blood pressure less than 100/60 the normal being 120/80. As age advances the baseline blood pressure may remain a bit higher - 140/90 being the cutoff above which it is hypertension. In such cases 108/68 would be considered a low blood pressure. And if symptoms like sweating, chest pain, headache, dizziness occur in association with this BP it warrants a review with your cardiologist at the earliest.

In this case, the most likely cause of low blood pressure may be the related to viagra.
Viagra, contains sildenafil citrate which is a vasodilator and cause potentially life threatening hypotension , angina or heart attack in cardiac patients, or patients on nitrates or other blood pursue lowering agents within 24 hours of intake. So if he has consumed viagra in the last 24 hours and having a low BP with uneasiness in chest or any of the symptoms mentioned above then please take him to a urgent care facility .

Meanwhile make him lie down, avoid any strenuous work and give him adequate fluids to improve his hydration and in turn hypotension.

Hope I have answered your query. Should you have any additional concerns, feel free to post them here. I am available to assist you. Do accept the answer if you are satisfied with my answer.