Concerned about the swollen tonsils and lymph nodes. Having heart palpitations

I have been having swollen tonsils& swollen lymph nodes for over a year and also heart palpations everyday for the past year what can this mean?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing some information and recommendations for you.

Swollen tonsils and lymph nodes are not entirely uncommon in the general population. The majority of these cases are not related to any type of worrisome or life-threatening illness as is the case for you I am sure. Sometimes, if the tonsils are swolllen significantly and persistently, your doctor may recommend a consultation with an ear nose and throat specialist.

The ENT doctor may consider recommending that you have your tonsils removed which may help decrease the discomfort as well as swelling of lymph nodes in the neck as well.

Heart palpitations are also common and in your case, we must rule out external causes such as certain foods or medication. Any foods high in caffeine content or sugar content could elevate the heart rate. Things such as soda or coffee come to mind. Tobacco use can also cause this type of thing. Of course any street drugs can cause this and I am sure you have no issues with that.

The next consideration if there is no dietary issue with caffeine is the thyroid. Sometimes if the thyroid is overactive, it could cause some palpitations. Your doctor can check for this with a simple blood test.

Finally and actualy the most common cause of palpitations is anxiety. If you feel this may be the case for you, I recommend you start working on some relaxation exercises and medication. Also it is critical that you exercise 4 or 5 days per week. This is an excellent way to improve anxiety and may improve the incidence of these palpitations.

Thanks again for the query. I hope I have provided some helpful inormation for you. I am available of course if you have any followup concerns. Otherwise please accept my answer.

Dr. Galamaga