Concerned about high blood pressure.

Just had my pressure taken and it was 162/98. I am a little concerned because I have never been diagnosed with high blood pressure.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 1 hour later
Hello ,

Thanks for the query. I am happy to help you with your question.

The first thing to keep in mind is that a single elevated blood pressure reading does not establish the diagnosis of hypertension. That requires at least two separate readings, each after 5 minutes of quiet rest.

The next important point is that phentermine can easily raise blood pressure. So if one were taking additional readings to follow up on this high reading, those readings should not be after BP-raising medications. You can discuss this with your treating doctor, as only he or she can make an actual diagnosis and recommend treatment.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.

Best regards,
Dr. Schwartz