Completed herbal abortion, heavy bleeding. Sonography stated endometrum thickened. Incomplete abortion? HPT positive, why?

Hi.. We have two kids from surgeroy is 6 months old. my wife has conveived in the month of Dec-2011,LMP is 11.12.2011, the sonography report dated 12.01.2012, the gestation sac is 3.266 mm ie 4 weeks 1 days. On 18th XXXXXXX my wife has complete of herbal for abortion. Heavy bleeding on 20th XXXXXXX Afterthat did repeat songraphy ( dt 06.2.12), the report states that the endometrum ( heterogenus ) thickened & measures 13.3 mm ie S/o incomplete abortion. Second herbal course for abortion taken on 14.02.2012... but no bleeding happened. Pls guide on following points:
1. why bleeding not happended second time during misoprostol .
2. 30 days has expired ie 20th XXXXXXX 2012 no menstural period--- wait for same or guidance reqd
3. symptoms of incompete abortion
4. Prega news - pregency test is postive
5. beta H.C.G TEST report --- value 52.98 miu/ml date-13.02.2012
6. Risk
Pls guide as we have consult various doctors .. some advice wait for normal period or some advice for D&C.Current symptom is white discharge.

We want to avoid D&c
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. I have gone through the report in detail.

I understand your concern for your wife.

Let me tell you straight that your wife has to go in for a D & C (Dilatation and Curettage) now. There is no second option here to wait and watch.

Please do not wait any further but consult her gynaecologist and opt for the D & C.

Your answers:

1. Misoprostol alone will not cause complete abortion in many women.

2. Guidance of a gynaecologist is required. Normal menstruation will not happen unless the abortion is complete.

3. Symptoms of incomplete abortion include continued bleeding per vagina, lower abdominal pain, fever, if infection sets in.

4. and 5. Both are suggestive of pregnancy.

6. Risks of incomplete abortion include pelvic infection due to retained products of conception, sepsis and shock may set in too.

I suggest her to get D & C done under an experienced gynaecologist.

Hope this helps you to make a firm decision.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Shanthi

Follow-up: Completed herbal abortion, heavy bleeding. Sonography stated endometrum thickened. Incomplete abortion? HPT positive, why? 1 hour later
Dear Madam,

Thanks for prompt response.

As confirmed by you and other gynacs that the symthom of incomplete aborstion is heavy bleeding ... but in this case no bleeding happened now even the patent has taken misoprostol first.

second is that what is risk as the patient has a history of two surgeory

Max period we can wait for D&C ----

Thanks and Regards
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 17 minutes later

Thanks for reverting.

Bleeding may not be always present in incomplete abortion. The last ultrasound was done on 6th of February. It is almost 2 weeks now. It is advised to go for a repeat ultrasound scan now, to check for any retained products of conception and go ahead with the D & C.

The risk is minimal since D & C is a local procedure and is done under local anaesthesia. It is a day care procedure.

It is better not to wait for more than a week from now on.

Hope this helps.

Wishing your wife a speedy recovery.