Completed back surgery including spinal fusion and discectomies, Sciatic nerves is compressed and numbness in leg. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I completed back surgery 2 months ago which included spinal fusion and 2 discectomies. My right sciatic nerve compressed by one or more of the discs. The manifestation of the nerve injury is numbness in the right lower leg primarily the foot. How much the sciatic nerve would have been affected and how long would it take for it to heal? I am on a walking regimen headed towards 2 hours per day.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
badly compressed nerves

Detailed Answer:

thank you for your question

although the pain you have is called sciatica but actually it is not the sciatic nerve which is compressed but one or more of its roots in the spine.

usually we offer discectomy surgery when the nerve are badly compressed by the disc.

we usually expect quick relief of the pain in your legs within 2-4 weeks from surgery but the numbness may take long time to improve, and some times does not improve unfortunately.
the back pain following fusion surgery may take few months to heal.

I hope you get better soon