Complete hysterectomy done. Having severe flank pain and brown vaginal discharge. Any suggestion?

I have pretty bad left side flank pain that's been getting worse over the last few days. I've had it for a couple weeks now. I do get it often but not on a regular basis. This is the most painful it's ever been. Now I also have brown/red tint vaginal discharge. No pelvic pain and had a complete hysterectomy nine years ago. Also had a yeast infection about a month ago. First one since surgery. Any ideas?
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 40 minutes later
First i need to know if your ovaries were removed along with your uterus. because sometimes, ovaries enlarge and cause some pain. Since you had a hysterectomy the vaginal bleeding has to be local.You will need to be examined as this may be due to infection.
I suggest that you see your doctor for examination and get an ultrasound first.
If you ovaries have been removed the chances of this problem being gynecological is nil.You may have a vaginal infection,though which needs to be treated with antibiotics. Other problems like colitis, appendicitis,etc also cause pain.So an ultrasound is needed.