Complete hysterectomy done. Having bruise on abdomen and started vaginal bleeding. What to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had several unexplained bruises on my abdomen for over a month now and yesterday I started discharging blood vaginally even though I had a complete hysterectomy about 15 years ago.
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 51 minutes later
Development of large purple bruises on your abdomen and a vaginal bleeding spontaneously without any history of injury is suggestive of a bleeding disorder. Prolonged intake of aspirin seems to be the most likely cause. You need to consult your physician to get a complete blood coagulation profile checked with APTT and platelet count to rule out other possible causes like thrombocytopenia.
This can also happen due to a viral infection in the recent past- decreases the synthesis of platelets from the bone marrow.
Presence of any autoimmune disorders also needs to be ruled out.
The treatment is based on the diagnosis and severity of the problem. Treatment is usually done by stopping aspirin, fluid infusion, steroids, immunoglobulins, blood transfusions, etc according to the severity of the condition.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.