Complete hysterectomy done. Got an abnormal pap smear result. Looking for suggestion

Sep 2012

I had a complete hysterectomy 4 years ago and I got an abnormal Pap smear result today. Going back to doctor in the morning and going to check under microscope. I'm just so upset and afraid.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 17 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, first of all, a complete hysterectomy means excision of uterus, cervix, bilateral tube and ovary. Now, in your case, most probably Pap smear has been done from vaginal vault. It detects the abnormal cells exfoliated from the surface epithelium.

Now, abnormal Pap smear is of many types like LSIL, HSIL, ASCUS, ASC-H, and squamous carcinoma. In case of abnormal Pap smear, grading should be done like I have mentioned. And then, the condition is managed according to the category.

You should not get upset. Because, an abnormal Pap does not always indicate carcinoma. So, wait for the doctor’s opinion regarding this. And hope for the best.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Complete hysterectomy done. Got an abnormal pap smear result. Looking for suggestion 15 minutes later
I did have a pet scan 6 months ago and all was clear. Could an infection or something else cause an abnormal reading.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 8 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, in case of human papilloma virus infection, an abnormal pap smear may be found. Even in some acute bacterial infection, reactive atypia may be found which is difficult to differentiate from squamous cell carcinoma.

So, wait for your doctor's opinion regarding pap smear.

Hope you have your answers.