Complete fontan operation done for tricuspid atresia. Taking warfarin. Am I able to smoke organic weed?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi, I am a 21 yr old healthy female. Was born tricuspid atresia and have had a full fontan operation at age 3. Currently taking warfarin . Am I able to smoke organic weed ?
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

I do know that smoking of any type, increases the risk of vascular events of the type we are generally trying to prevent with anti-coagulation with drugs like warfarin. But as for directly affecting INR, we don't really know. Warfarin is a XXXXXXX drug with a narrow therapeutic window. I would advise caution.

Hope this will help you.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.